Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: how to alert company of security hole

From: scheyne () att net
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:17:55 +0000

You know, this is something that may of a sensitive nature, but I see it as an "OPPORTUNITY!"

I have been in the same situation and so I called the CSO or CISO of the company and talk to them only and then keep
your mouth tightly sealed.   This presents the opportunity to "network" for a future job and at the same time, it is a
professional thing to do.  Documentation sent to them is very important, and may even require a non-disclosure
agreement, but it is the right thing to do.   If it is an American company and possibly on the SEC board, you are once
again doing the right thing.  I am a SME on SARBANES-OXLEY and it is a necessity, and if they choose not to do anything
about it, they are fined and could face imprisonment if it devulges customer information.

Sam Cheyne

Hi All,
Not sure if this question belongs here or not, but ...
I am curious about an approach one would take in alerting a company that
their web site/e-shop has multiple vulnerabilities.  In other words should
the individual who discovered the holes contact the parties involved
directly or anonymously in fear of law suit?
Also, would one be swimming in murky waters if they were looking at some
reward for the discovery ...

   Cheers,
      Serg
      sbonlinux[AT]hotmail.com
      Your friendly neighborhood geek.

We've 100s of NEW questions! Play Millionaire online to win $$$$. Click here
  http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/millionaire/default.asp

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html