Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability Scanning

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:34:54 -0500

One thing I'm running into where I am right now is a situation where patches
have been applied in a non-chronological order.  As a result, in some cases
the older patch has replaced files from a newer patch, and so the system is
vulnerable despite appearing to be current on patches.  We're now going
around and re-patching, using all necessary patches in the correct order,
but ultimately the situation explained why we were showing vulns on systems
that were 'patched'.