Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: IDS Testing (another way)

From: "Clint Bodungen" <clint () secureconsulting com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:56:04 -0600

Wednesday, March 10, 2004 9:59 AM
Subject: IDS Testing

Has anyone ever used a product called IDS Informer made by Blade Software?
I am currently looking at different methods/products that can test the
functionality and response of production IDS sensors.

Another way is to use Apsend or SendIP to craft your own packets/signatures
of "mock" attacks and automatically run them all at once using a shell or
perl script that calls tcpreplay.  It's basically the "poor man's" way of
doing what Blade does.  However, it can be tedious to create all those
crafted signatures unless you have a good "prefabbed" database handy.  Then,
of course, you have to issue of the accuracy and reliability of the crafted
signatures.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html