Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: new NMAP re-tool(ing)

From: Pete Herzog <pete () isecom org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:40:01 +0200

We will be updating the tool to ensure it works with NMAP and we will provide fresh dumps of the OPRP database for sure. Tweaks for the tool to do more things may not happen because it would make more sense to write a new tool from scratch than to hijack an existing one with a PERL script-- also to make the tool faster. NWRAP was just a clever hack to see the possibilities.

Enumeration tools are funny creatures as they need a strange mix of intuitive usability and comprehensible categorization for providing variations of 3 simple answers: open, closed, and filtered. Use also dictates you include speed, throttling, quality checks, and a large assortment of protocol variations to make a knife that behaves like a scalpel, a broad sword, and both at the same time. Enumeration tool writers like the NMAP hackers, scanrand, etc. have my deepest respect.

Sincerely,
-pete.

www.isecom.org

Tyler Durden wrote:

Very nice. Can we expect updates in the future?
.......Version numbers by banner grabbing and such?

Good stuff. Keep up the good work.

--Oedipus

--- Pete Herzog <pete () isecom org> wrote:

Hi,

We have a new interesting NMAP assistance tool at
the ISECOM website: nwrap.pl. You will find it at

http://www.isecom.org/projects/toolsandtemplates.shtml.

NWRAP uses the OPRP (Open Protocol Resource Project
database at

http://www.isecom.info/cgi-local/protocoldb/browse.dsp)

to enhance the port findings by listing all known protocols and services for those ports. It's especially handy for testing ports
above the 1024 range.

Use it just as you would NMAP (must be installed and
in your path). The OPRP dump which must accompany it should be included
in the same directory.

NWRAP was written by Simon Biles.
The OPRP is maintained by Dru Lavigne.

Sincerely,