Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Auditing / Logging

From: Travis Schack <Travis () Vitalisec com>
Date: 13 Jan 2004 05:43:21 -0000

What software do you recommend for auditing / logging while performing
pen-test assessment.

I am interested in both network and application level.logging.

Thanks
-N

When I am testing, I capture all network traffic using TCPdump (in binary) and I use the script command to capture all
terminal activity.  I also keep a separate record of all commands (using a spreadsheet, fairly high tech =) with time
stamps and system IP address (if I am testing from multiple systems).  This allows myself or my client to search for
specific activity in the binary TCPdump file.  I also keep all output files from all tools (if the tool allows it).

Travis Schack
Travis () Vitalisec com
Vitalisec, Inc.
www.Vitalisec.com