Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Converting raw 802.11 (rfmon) capture file to standard libpcap

From: "Jerry Shenk" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:59:42 -0500

By raw, I mean 802.11 rfmon - raw really isn't the right word.  It's
packets that are captured with a wireless care in monitor (or rfmon)
mode.  They have the 802.11 header included so tcpdump can't read them.
Neither can other utilities that I typically use to analyze sniffer
files.  I don't really need to analyze the packets themselves,
ethereal/tehtereal works quite well for that.  What I do want to do is
load them into utilities that don't know what to do with the 802.11
header.

I agree, it seems like it should be relatively simple to read the
packets, strip off the 802.11 header and put on a pcap header and write
that out to a tcpdump-compatible file...but I can't seem to get that
done.