Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Did Foundstone get bought?

From: Alfred Huger <ah () securityfocus com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:02:22 -0700 (MST)

List Members,

I recently heard a rumor that Foundstone was recently acquired by NAI
and will be announcing it at RSA. Does anyone know if this is true? We
are a customer of FoundScan (great product btw) and I am very >concerned
about it's future if this is true. I once was a customer of a VA >product
called Ballista (another great product) which became *TERRIBLE* after
being acquired by NAI. If FoundScan follows suit it would be >depressing.

It's always a curious feeling to read someone deriding a product you spent
years of your life sweating into but I guess that's par for the net.
Sarcasm aside though, I respect your opinion in regards to Ballista or
CyberCop Scanner as NAI later named it. I should point out though that of
all the products NAI bought and squandered in 1997/98 ours was the last to
be retired from their stable in 02.

In regards to Foundstone, I have no idea if they've been bought. If they
have though I would caution you against expecting the worst from them. If
you like the product now and you feel it's a market leader there is no
reason to believe that its new home will somehow change this. I think the
guys who put the work into this product, both the founders and people who
actually built the product, deserve the benefit of your doubt. They
started a company in a brutal down market and have managed to do
exceptionally well and I for one am rooting for them. If they get bought I
hope it's a success for staff and founders alike and I hope their current
customers get benefit from it. It does happen from time to time.

-al

Alfred Huger
Symantec Corp.

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php