Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: pen testing & obfuscated shell code (more neat stuff)

From: Karsten Johansson <ksaj () penetrationtest com>
Date: 16 Feb 2004 17:52:45 -0000

Greetings,

Thanks to those who emailed me.  'abcdefghijklmno'
does indeed map to opcodes.  The quick test I did
showed them as unmapped, but they definitely are
mapped.  One person found that a .com file with my
suggested NOP sled actually made his mouse jump all
over the place.  That's not very NOPish at all.

As well, a few people provided some really good links
on the subject.  Here are two good ones:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/
shellcode/1983.html - ASCII shellcode for writing a
message to the console

http://cansecwest.com/noplist-v1-1.txt - NOP
equivalents used by SNORT spp_fnord.c

Since the people that use NOP sleds don't really care
about the registers and what's on the stack, then
there are probably a lot more useful NOP sled opcodes
available - as long as they don't generate errors.

I am thinking about finishing the document that I
posted here on Byte code replacement, because I wrote
that when extended registers weren't an issue.  If
anyone wants to help, just let me know.

    Karsten Johansson
    www.PENETRATIONTEST.com

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php