Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: discovering network layout at layer2

From: "Aditya [ Aditya Lalit Deshmukh ]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:07:38 +0530

-----Original Message-----
From: Devrat Mittal [mailto:u02113 () cs unipune ernet in]
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 5:49 PM
To: ald2003 () users sourceforge net
Subject: RE: discovering network layout at layer2

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Aditya [ Aditya Lalit Deshmukh ] wrote:
hi aditya,
well what i mean is apart from sniffing on my external interface to see
what are the link layer protocol packets (Cisco DIscovery protocol) etc,
I also need to actively determine the exact configuration of the switches
- how many & what all hosts connected to my nearest switch & the same

for this you need :

1. admin / root access on your machine to see all the traffic that is going through the wire
2. if you are connected using a hub with a ethernet lan card then all you need is to put your network card in promisc
mode
3. if you are using switches then you have do create a braodcast storm to degrade the switch to act as a hub
4. if you are connected using a modem / isdn card then you need a tcp scanner - there are many ones one the net - this
will not work for sniffing traffic but you will get a pretty good idea about the hosts around you

-aditya

about the second & third level switch until out router is reached.

Thats what I am looking at.
regards
Devrat Mittal

hi there as far as i know this sort of things require a
permission from some one inchage!
thaT said, the best tool for this job would be etherreal -
correct me if i am wrong, guys

-aditya