Penetration Testing mailing list archives

password cracking a web form, tried hydra and brutus

From: "aRt dE vIvRe" <bishan4u () yahoo co uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:22:46 +0530 (IST)

hi,

we are conducting a PT for a website. In order to password crack the
login/password form authentication (which happens to be squirrelmail,
written in php, looks similar to the login page of yahoo or msn)  I was
looking for some tools.

I came across Hydra and Brutus. When I tried Brutus on an inhouse dummy
site, after configuring the parameters the target would automatically
become <target>redirect.php. I googled but couldnot find a solution to it.

Then I tried hydra at with following command:
# hydra  -l smg -p we2su 192.168.0.3  http /webmail/src/login.php

it resulted as:
[80][www] host: 192.168.0.2   login: smg   password: we2su

which is a wrong result since I had given the wrong password.

I get the same result for valid or invalid passwords.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Is there any other tool which does what I'm looking for?

Pls. help me with this :)

Regards,
B'shan