Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Laptop Considerations

From: Chris Meidinger <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:31:58 +0100

comments inline

Thanks all for your feedback on the atheros chipset. I appreciate it.

Time to re-visit the madwifi project :-)

Chris, I think the Aironet has its own chipset which was designed for
cisco. I don't believe it's Atheros.
Ghaith, i have 2 Cisco WLAN cards. The Aironet 350 (AIR-PCM350) is cisco chipset (which is basically prism2 on steroids). The Aironet 802.11a/b/g (AIR-CB21AG-E-K9) is atheros chipset.

The most obvious thing to look for is atheros chipset makes /dev/ath0 and cisco makes /dev/wlan0.

Also, there is a new book under the title: "Wi-Foo: The Secrets of
Wireless Hacking". I've ordered it and I'm expecting it to be
delivered tomorrow. I read the description, and the author seems has
tackled all those wifi issues for linux. I will let you know as soon
as I come across those chapters.

The book is excellent. I bought it last summer and reference it regularly.

Cheers, Chris