Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Security Posture Assessment

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:20:56 -0600

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 20:33, Bob wrote:
I am looking for imput from folks who have performed security posture
assessments as to the best free alternative to Phone Sweep.  I have
heard good things about toneloc, but have been unsuccessful at getting
it to initialize any of the five modems I have attempted.  The basic
configuration seems to be no more complicated than a COM port and an
IRQ setting so please let me know if you think there is something I am
missing.  If you have gotten it to work what do you think is the best
modem for toneloc?

Toneloc rocks. I don't know why you had issue with the modems. I build
wardial rigs with multiple modems on Windows 2000 boxes using Toneloc.
The modems ranged from external USR modems to internal 3Com and some
other LT Winmodem. It was dialing 3 lines for a night or two without any
hickups. All three tonelocs were humming beautifully in their console
windows all at once.

Just as a side note. When war dialing, really, really, really make sure
you don't overshoot the estimated range of numbers and end up in a cell
phone block. Thanks to caller ID people call back, even after midnight.
I remember one guy that called every half hour.... I guess he couldn't
understand why I called him and just hung up. Maybe he thought he missed
something important... a date perhaps? ...lol

Cheers,
Frank