Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Audit Cost

From: lbrooks () cs fsu edu
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:16:46 -0500

Thank you for the input so far. It has been helpful.

I had to go back and ask the prof for exactly what he was looking for. He is
trying to get a feel for what would be a good ball park budget for a complete
analysis from a private company to put in as a recommendation in the paper he
is writing. (Someone in another post asked if I could post the study.
Unfortunately, the paper is meant for publication so I cant. But should it get
published I will be happy to pass along the name of the publication.)

Here is the scenario that he and I came up with. The company is a medium sized
company with three buildings and a large mobile sales force using wireless
laptops. There are ten wireless points located on the internal LAN throughout
the three buildings. The wired
network has the usual security measures in place, i.e. firewall blocking
incoming traffic but not outgoing, servers located in a DMZ (say an http
server, mail server and dns all Win2K based), no IDS etc, all Cisco hardware.
No security other than mac filtering on the wireless LAN. What we would be
looking for is the estimated cost to do a full assessment of the
vulnerabilities from the, admittedly completely insecure, wireless network to
the main network and develop a wireless security plan for the organization.

We understand that every network is different. We are just trying to get a
ball
park figure for what companies can expect when they go looking for this type
of service. If that is not detailed enough please let me know and I will try
to firm it up some more.

Thank you,

Louis Brooks
Dept. of Computer Science
Florida State University

Quoting "Robert E. Lee" <robert () dyadsecurity com>:

Your post looks like a RFQ (Request for Quote). :).  The details you
provided are too scarce to answer fully.  Are you looking for costs of
software, costs of training for your people... or costs to outsource a
wireless security project to a third party?

If it's the latter, there are many security companies (including mine)
that would be willing to help you price out a project like this.  This
sort of pricing/scooping phase is a "standard cost of doing business"
for us.

Sincerely,

Robert

Robert E. Lee