Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: HW/SW Rogue AP Wireless Detection

From: reyk () vantronix net (Reyk Floeter)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:44:09 +0100

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:05:28PM -0500, R. DuFresne wrote:
doesn't this  setiup though limit you to 802.11b scanning and thus leave
you open to rogue 802.11a AP's?

kismet supports 802.11a scanning in the latest version. it uses the
vt_ar5k drivers for gnu/linux from http://team.vantronix.net/ar5k/.

but you need an atheros ar5000- based 32bit cardbus/pci card and i'm
not sure if it's possible to run it on the ipaq. nevertheless, these
cards need some more power which could be a problem on any mobile
device.