Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability scanners

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:31:54 -0500

Why do you need a nice weekly report?  Is upper management going to want to
see this report every single week, and if they do, why can't it be
templated?  Keep in mind, Qualys won't do anything for you besides run the
scan and give you the report.  Summaries are interpretive, and best done by
someone who knows the network (in other words, you'll be doing them either
way).  And finally, even considering it taking an entire 24 hours to scan a
class C range, is it really going to take four entire days to
digest/collate/polish up the results, especially as the results will likely
not have changed dramatically in the past week's time?  I seriously question
the notion that nessus scanning of a class C on a weekly basis is a
full-time job.