Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: TCP port 41523

From: methodic () libpcap net
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:41:00 -0400

Given that it comes back with a NETBIOS string, id run something like
nbaudit on that port...

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:34:55AM +1000, Patrick Webster wrote:
Hi All,

Whilst doing a pen-test I came across a Windows NT4 box with IIS4. After
doing a port scan, I noticed, among others, that port 41523 was open.

Using Amap, the result returned is unknown, however the data given is:

Response received from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 41523 tcp (length 8 bytes):
0000:   424e 4532 3937 4400
ASCII:  "NETBIOS_HOSTNAME"    <= I've replaced the real hostname
Unidentified ports: 41523/tcp (total 1).

I've searched google without any luck. Does anyone know what this may
be? I don't have access to the machine to run fport.exe or similar.
Below is the results of an Nmap, if it helps.

ort       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
22/tcp     open        ssh
80/tcp     open        http
81/tcp     open        hosts2-ns
88/tcp     open        kerberos-sec
135/tcp    open        loc-srv
139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn
443/tcp    open        https
1027/tcp   open        IIS
1038/tcp   open        unknown
1041/tcp   open        unknown
1433/tcp   open        ms-sql-s
4899/tcp   open        radmin
6050/tcp   open        arcserve
8314/tcp   open        unknown
41523/tcp  open        unknown

Thanks,

-Patrick

--
+ Cannot find nsabackdoor.dll. Please reinstall Windows.