Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Tools for voicemail testing?

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:27:53 -0400

That's a wardialer, not a voicemail application.  In fact, THC-Scan will do
the opposite of what he wants, as it detects modems instead of voice lines.
What he's looking for is something that can try brute-forcing of voicemail
passwords, for example.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything
out there, but it might not be too tricky to gin something up if you're a
decent windows programmer; there are DTMF generation OCX controls out there.
The trick, I think, would be in detecting success, particularly since there
isn't any one guaranteed voice or script that would be heard across all
voicemail systems.