Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: "Free" pen-test

From: "Pete" <pen_test_list () petesmithcomputers com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:27:41 +0100

J.A. Terranson wrote:

What you did was illegal, unethical, and *way* beyond
acceptable practice.  You're lucky he doesn't throw your a$$ in jail.

Another misunderstanding. I tried to explain the circumstances and most
replies seem to reflect an understanding. The flames I've had stem from
insecurity of a different sort, I fear.

Firstly, Fred's initial look was merely a port scan. In this country my
understanding is that a port scan is not considered an intrusion and is
therefore legal.

Secondly, we discussed a pen-test with Mr Director on the understanding
that our interest was a sales meeting (to discuss a full report and/or
purchase of solutions) if he had concerns.

As for mixing business interests, are you really saying that security
testers should not sell security? I see your point, but in the small
business community we have to be practical.

How do you find your clients?

Pete