Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Using ARP to map a network

From: "Jason Lewis" <jlewis () packetnexus com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:32:53 -0500 (EST)

This may be part of my problem.  I have a list of IPs and MACs.  There are
multiple MACs tied to a single IP.  I was under the impression this data
was gathered from ARP tables from several machines across the network.

I figured the reason I was seeing multiple MACs for a single IP was
because the router responded for the IP behind it.  Any other explanation
for what I am seeing?

jas

Jason,

If the machines were behind a router you would not see anything for ARP.
 At that point you are routing and not switching.  True, you would see
an MAC address for the router but remember, the MAC address is part of
the frame and the IP address is part of the packet.  Therefore the only
time that the two are tied together is on the local subnet.

Any tool to map networks based on arp tables would have to have access
to the arp tables for each individual subnet.

"If machines were behind a router the ARP tables would show multiple
IP's with the same MAC."  No, the arp tables would only show the routers
IP address and the mac address of the router.  A routing table would
show IP addresses "behind" the routers IP address (maybe, default routes
would throw this off).  Routing tables are global while arp tables are
local to the subnet.

Hope this helps.

Kevin