Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Service Identification

From: "MARTIN M. Bénoni" <benoni_martin () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:19:50 +0000

Hi!

I had the same behavior with one my boxes (nmap sees an open port but not reply when attempting to connect to it). In my case, it was normal because I was running a honeypot on my target: I tried one of them (well a very basic one, NFR BOF under Window$ and IPtrap under Linux, but any "better" honeypot should do this, even a netcat I guess) asking these tools to monitor TCP/23, Nmap running against them found TCP/23 open (even if there were NO REAL service listenig on these ports)...but when telneting the target, no reply.

So one possible reason of this in your case could be a simple honeypot or any tool like this running on your target.

If you do not have physical access to the machine but a possible ssh for instance, it should be easy to check what's really going on it...