Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: How much do you disclose to customers?

From: "Jerry Shenk" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:58:35 -0500

Before answering anything - my testing philosophy is that I'm trying to
help the client find and fix their problems.  I am normaly not in the
case where I'm trying to 'smack' somebody.  I'm normally working WITH IT
so I'm gonna answer the questions from that perspective.

Logging - I keep detailed logs.  I don't quite log every command but I
log all the major stuff.  Partly to cover myself and partly so that if
their server does crash, I can help them pinpoint the problem test.
Pen-testing sometimes breaks things....better to have me break it than
their competition...I'll help 'em get it fixed.  Another reason for
keeping detailed logs is 'cuz in 2 months, I may want to test something
else and re-run a similar test.  Some guys remember every command-line
and combination for every test they run....me, I can't even remember
which box it's on, or what directory it's located it;).  Another reason,
the client may want a follow-up test after they've fixed the problem.

Attack IP - nope, I never tell them.  I do ask them to contact me
(actually, it's usually the sales guy as an intermediary) before they
spend too much time tracking me down, getting me arrested, etc.  I
include in my report when they contacted me.  I also include if they
never contact me (normally they never notice it).  If I suspected that I
was being blocked, I'd try to work around that.  I'd use a dialup
connection, go over to my mom's, anything.  If they're proactively
blocking me, I would figure out what it took to get a block, document it
and see if I could get their DNS servers, external web site and root DNS
servers blocked....at least to a degree.  I do not try to take my
clients out of business unless they specifically ask for a heavy DOS
test and most do not.

I also do testing at all kinds of goofy times.  If they try to take
boxes down to avoid testing....well, have fun;)