Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Cracking Base64 Passwords Perl Script.

From: Javier Liendo <javier () liendo net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:24:21 -0800 (PST)

hello

there is a website where you can do the same

http://www.securitystats.com/tools/base64.asp

regards

javier

--- Singapore Dragon <dragon () securityassoc com> wrote:
Tool to crack Base64 passwords - could not find
anything similar on the
Internet.

Download Tool:
http://www.securityassoc.com/base64_crack.zip

MD5 Hash: D905C844168D4D2D1755C1393E18CC96

Below from Readme.txt file:

Base64 Encoding
---------------

While pen testing and looking around for something
to crack a Base64
encoded password I could not find much in the  way
of a simple script,
so I decided to right a Perl script myself...

Many weak security mechanisms rely on base64
encoding scheme. IIS server
is one such example, from  the below example we see
IIS Basic
authenication in action on a GET request:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: iis-server
Authorization: Basic dGVzdDpwYXNzd29yZA==

The authorization tag is encoded in Base64 and when
feed into the decode
script is cracked as shown  below:

perl decode_base64.pl dGVzdDpwYXNzd29yZA==

 Author: The Singapore Dragon -
dragon () securityassoc com
 Web: www.securityassoc.com

 Usage decode_base64.pl [encoded-text]

 The decoded data is: test:password

There is also another script provided to encode data
(encode_base64.pl).

Enjoy and please send comments...

The Singapore Dragon
dragon () securityassoc com

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security
Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA
service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security
vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/