Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Using IPaqs or other handhelds as penetration devices

From: William Knowles <erehwon () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 07:00:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Johann van Duyn wrote:

Hello Johann,

I was wondering whether any exploits or penetration tools exist that
run on Compaq IPaq PDAs (running Windows CE or whatever they call it
now), or any other handheld devices, for that matter. This is part
risk analysis regarding the use of such devices, and part looking at
using such a device for lightweight ad-hoc penetration or
vulnerability testing.

You might be interested in a product called AirMagnet that runs on the
Compaq iPaq.

There's more information at:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/isn/2002-q2/0171.html

Also Bitshift has a nice tutorial on building a wardriving kit for the
iPaq worth a look at: http://www.bitshift.org/wardriving.shtml

I'm sure there are others, I'm just now trying to put together a
resource for C4I.org of sites with information on vulnerability
testing with handheld computers.

Cheers!

William Knowles
erehwon () c4i org

*====================================================================*
"Communications are the nervous system of the entire SAC organization,
and their protection is therefore, of the greatest importance. I like
to say that without communications, all I control is my desk, and that
is not a very lethal weapon."      ---      General T.S. Power U.S.A.F
erehwon () c4i org     PGP Key on request     http://www.c4i.org/erehwon/

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/