Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Training Lab Question

From: "Ballowe, Charles" <CBallowe () usg com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:19:09 -0500

Since it is a training lab, let the students have root. Expect
to re-image the disks on the student machines after every class
passes through. Consider that somebody doing a pen-test will
likely be doing it from their own machine, they will most likely
have root.

It may not be the safest, but is the most realistic way to train them.
Give them the tools that they will have in the field.

I assume that you're already simulating a vulnerable network, you could
also do some host based pen-test training. Leave a vulnerable binary on
the student systems and have them exploit it before continuing on to
network pen-testing.