Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: VOIP as Gateway

From: "Ofir Arkin" <ofir () sys-security com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 12:00:13 -0000

Hi,

You are talking about 2 totally different things here.

If I am calling to someone (I am using the regular PSTN) and he is using
an IP phone it is seamless from your end. His PSTN-VoIP gateway will
convert the signaling and voice samples from the PSTN based protocols to
VoIP based protocols and vice versa.

VoIP Network -------|GW|------ PSTN

The risk here is to abuse the gateway from the PSTN side (GW/IP PBX). If
you get yourself on the GW/IP PBX that’s it...

Ofir Arkin [ofir () sys-security com]
Founder
The Sys-Security Group
http://www.sys-security.com
PGP CC2C BE53 12C6 C9F2 87B1 B8C6 0DFA CF2D D360 43FA