Penetration Testing mailing list archives

WatchGuard AppLock/Web

From: Mike Ahern <mc_ahern () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 08:47:32 -0800 (PST)

Anyone have any experience pen testing web servers
protected by WatchGuard's AppLock/Web product?

Anyone know of any known issues, achilles heels, etc.,
with this app? I would imagine the goal would be to
first try to in some way kill the WatchGuard service.
Obviously, the WatchGuard app must try to protect
itself against the typical remote O/S and web server
vulnerabilities. I had heard thru a friend about a
similar attack that someone had used against a MEMCO
SEOS protected server, in that they somehow
successfully clobbered/killed the SEOS service, and
then were off to the races.

I suppose one method might be to try to back-hack the
box the web server admin uses, and then leverage that
access to take out the WatchGuard software & web
server.

Any other ideas?? Particularly related to the software
itself?

 - Mike