Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Questions on GSM Penetration test

From: "Tom Buelens" <email () tombuelens com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:47:21 +0100

Dear mr. Ricci,

There are companies that offer tools and equipement to violate privacy on
GSM networks.
I am sure that if you are 'testing' a good network they (the operator) are
aware that GSM is not an flawless concept. However they will also know the
countermesure of each type of attack, if such exists.
I do not have the impression that you are lawfully testing such a network.
Therefor I will not aid you with company names but with types of attack I
know.

1. You can overpower a basestation with your fake basestation.
FLAW: The sim / GSM has to authenticate to the network. The network does not
have to prove it's authenticety. Secondly the GSM will allways use the
strongest signal.
2. You can copy a sim card.
There are ways to get too the important numbers and reprogram them.
3. You can eavesdrop comunications between basestations.
It's a focused beam of information but over a distance of km's the beam will
spread a little.

Hope I've set you on your way.
Good luck.

I am not here to judge who is to use lawfull interception tools and who is
not. I would like to get rid of mistakes.

Hello All,

I would like to know if there is any company offering penetration test
services onto GSM network not the IP network. How to perform that type of
test? Which company can offer that service?

Thanks.

Ricci

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/