Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Pen - Test technique: Shred diving

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:38:57 -0500 (EST)

even better, saving lots of time the 'pre-shred' bins, those waste
disposal bins where whole sheets are dummped for later shredding, seldom
locked, and very exposed, especially at night, when staff is low in count,
or noon hours, when the lunch bell chimes and the office clears out.  then
again almost any cubicle and office wall might well be littered
withdocumentation, of course, it all depends upon access to the site,
which is often fully available to pen=testers and auditors, let alone
visitors, even if they have to be accompanied by an real employee.  If
someone really wants information, its not all that hard to gleen in paper
format...