Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: pen test VPN

From: Eric Hines <eric3+ () pitt edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:01:18 -0500

I concur with David. I have been pen-testing VPN appliances for about
two years now. I wrote several controversial advisories under the
alias Loki on circumventing VPNet VPN appliances (now Avaya) and
gaining remote root shells to RapidStream VPN's. You should most
DEFINITELY PEN-TEST any VPN appliance you wish to purchase or use on
your network. My feeling is that if I can break it, why should I use
it?

Don't be intimidated by VPN's. Just because they encrypt traffic does
not mean they are fail proof. When attacking VPN appliances, it's not
the encryption that is the weakest link, it's the design. Case in
point, VPNet built their VPN appliances and configured them as
bridges. Therefore, spoofing your SOURCE IP Address as being part of
the private VPN network and sending it to the public Interface caused
the VPN's to forward those packets over to the private side. This was
a flaw that has yet to be explained by the vendor.

With the RapidStream VPN devices I found that they were using
SSHD(exec) for secure remote access to the VPN devices. After poking
at the VPN, I noticed that they hard coded the root account into the
SSHD binary with a NULL passwd. A simple line in Linux would yield
you a rootshell to the remote VPN device:
E.g. ssh -l rsadmin 192.168.0.1 "/bin/sh -i"

This would open an interactive shell to the Rapidstream VPN device. I
guess they didn't account for the fact that Linux/Unix command line
users of SSH could append "commands" at the end of the ssh string.
They also foolishly relied on their VPN manager to handle the passwd
authentication.

I would suggest you look at other problems identified in VPN
appliances. You can read my advisories on these at
http://online.securityfocus.com/advisories/2946

RapidStream SSHD Remote Root Compromise
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/76197

Loki