Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: firewall question

From: dr.kaos <dr.kaos () kaos to>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:15:28 -0500

On Friday 15 February 2002 10:45 am, Ralph Los wrote:
All,

      I am currently in the process of testing CyberGuard's firewall(s),
which claim to be packetfilter + proxy based.  I am looking for someone
outside my lab (external) to partner with in conducting strenuous testing,
with some extensive 'packet crafting' attacks, etc.

Cheers!  Response is appreciated...

Be happy to help if I can put my hands on a CyberGuard box, however, I must
say that I'm a bit skeptical of any product that tries to bridge the
functionality gap of a proxy and stateful filter.  Granted, i've never
implemented a CyberGuard box, but the benefits of each firewalling
methodology are so distinctly different, and are likely better offered by a
heterogeneous combination of multiple firewalls than by a box that tries to
"do it all."

That certainly isn't to say that someone couldn't prove me wrong, but I
suspect that CyberGuard's "SmartProxies" are very similar in design to
CheckPoint's "Security Servers" -- poorly designed content filtering
mechanisms designed to overcome the basic limitations of filtering traffic
without validating application layer content. I hope I offend no one in
saying so (I don't suspect that I will, though, as numerous CheckPoint
employess have shared with me their similar views on their own Security
Servers), but I really don't think these stateful firewall vendors should be
trying to put proxies on their boxes. IMHO: let the stateful firewall do one
thing very well, and leave the proxying to a vendor with the expertise in
writing proxies.

./dr.kaos

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/