Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Re: Buffer Overflow Help

From: Matt Woodyard <woodyard () sdgky com>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 22:27:02 -0400

Is this not related to wide-character unices? I seem to recall that when
I ran through this tutorial having a unicode enabled glibc messed with
it pretty bad.

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 13:55, Ali Saifullah Khan wrote:
Yes, you're right chris.
the distance calculated also depends on the gcc version used to
produce the assembley code viewed to calculate the distance on the
stack moved.

versions of gcc later than ...91 seem to be showing different
activity.....like skipping 8 bytes instead of 4 for the same
purpose if i may recall.

please do check up on that last statement....i maybe wrong about
the # of bytes skipped.

Thankyou.