Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Modem identification

From: "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" <rdawes () deloitte co za>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:34:29 +0200

Perhaps it will, but that requires a separate connection most times. I.e.
dial up again. I would like to do this reliably in the most efficient manner
possible.

My intention is to make some kind of state table.

e.g.
Dial number

Got input?
Yes - Go to "classify input"
No (after timeout period) - go to "Nudge"

Classify input
Input looks like PPP (i.e. contains lots of {{{{{{ ) - Classify as PPP dial
up - go to "PPP Brute Force"
Input looks like text - go to "identify banner"

Nudge
Prompt with NT RAS string - go to "Got input?"
Prompt with CRLF - go to "Got input?"

Identify banner
Text contains login: - classify as "shell account" - go to "Enter password"
Text contains "AIX" - classify as IBM RS/6000
Text contains "@login" - classify as Shiva

etc

The difference between PPP and NT RAS is that the PPP server seems to spew
{{{{{'s to initiate the connection - play with wvdial for a bit to see how
it "intelligently" negotiates a dial-up connection. NT RAS on the other hand
sits silent until a special character sequence is sent, typically containing
non-printable/keyboard enterable characters.

I have attached my Perl program - it's VERY rough, so don't expect much from
it. At the moment, the most interesting thing about it is its ability to
speak to a serial port! It expects a list of numbers on STDIN, and logs its
findings to ${number}.asc and ${number}.bin.

Rogan