Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: binary switching, no killing

From: David Ford <dford () erisksecurity com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:51:15 -0400

Modularize your functions and use a process unique (a|b) id; function_123 loaded at startup, function_124 loaded later, load the new module function_124, migrate data sets as needed, lock data sets, deregister function_X -> function_123, register function_X -> function_124, unlock data sets. If your code works properly, all you need is a function shell structure and you can continue this for a long time.

David

Craig Holmes wrote:

Hi Listmembers,
        Me and some friends have created a small irc network in which we are
implementing ssl encryption between client and server. Our original ircd did
not have this feature and now our new ircds do. The problem is in upgrading,
the whole ircd must be killed and a new one started, which causes all clients
to drop. My question is, is it possible to almost "hijack" a process, and
switch the binary without losing the pid & tcp/ip connections? Is this a
crazy and impossible idea, or has it been done?

Any help would be appreciated!

          Thanks in advance,
                Craig Holmes

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/