Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Ethereal Help

From: Don Faulkner <don.faulkner () infosec spectria com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:59:09 -0700

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 08:39:51AM -0700, Junginger, Jeremy wrote:
I need to write a filter rule for ethereal that tracks all access to
a specific URL (not ip address).  Is this possible, and if so, how?

I would check into ngrep, the 'network grepper':

http://www.packetfactory.net/Projects/ngrep/

A line like this may be what you're looking for:

# ngrep -d lo -A 2 'index\.html' 'dst port 80'

-d lo           'Listen on interface lo'
-A 2            'Dump 2 packets of trailing context'
'index\.html'   'regex of what to grep each matching packet for'
'dst port 80'   'the libpcap packet match filter'

I don't know if ngrep dumps data in the way you're expecting, but it's
a start. Good luck!

--
Don Faulkner, CISSP                 |
Senior Security Consultant          |  Spectria
                                    |  1-888-IS-GUARD

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/