Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: DENY x REJECT

From: niceshorts () yahoo com
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:37:05 -0500

Ofir Arkin hat geschrieben:

The best way to differ between a port which the firewall is configured
to "drop" a packet(s) and a port the firewall is configured to "reject"
a packet(s) is to look for the ICMP Error Message (Destination
Unreachable - Communication with Destination Network is Administratively
Prohibited) as you stated.

    This is to expand on what Ofir wrote.

    If a TCP packet is =not= filtered, and there is no listening
    socket, the response should be a RST. This should also be taken
    into account. If a UDP packet is =not= filtered, and there is
    a listening socket, a response is application layer specific
    and typically a misunderstood datagram will be dropped. So a
    firewall dropping a UDP packet and a listening UDP socket can
    be difficult to differentiate. If there is no listening
    UDP socket, a Destination Port Unreachable message should be
    returned. But if we are talking about a firewall between
    source and destination, we don't know anything if the
    firewall happens to drop those Unreachables. Such is life
    made more difficult.

Today, I am not familiar with any tool parsing the ICMP Error message
coming from a port which the firewall rejects the packets for.

    Perhaps,

    icmpinfo -vvvn

As a thumb rule configuring a firewall to "reject" rather than "drop" is
a mistake. The firewall needs to be transparent as possible for traffic
going through.

    It depends if the firewall returns a RST on reject. One
    example where this is useful is to RST ident. I think the
    actual reject response (ICMP or TCP RST) is implementation
    specific and depends on semantics.