Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Nmap issues...? or router?

From: Ilici Ramirez <ilici_ramirez () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 00:55:36 -0700 (PDT)

Most likely is a router problem.

The 2500 series routers support 1000 pps in process
switching and 6000 pps in fast switching. This is what
cisco says.

Using fscan with one PC at 250 pps in process
switching I put a 2500 router in 99% CPU. For a 3640 I
need two PC to scan and obtain a 99% CPU. A 3660 is
more robust and all I could obtain was a 20%.

It seems that the short SYN packets make cisco go
high.

Ilici R