Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Do ICMP re-directs actually work ?

From: Blake Frantz <blake () mc net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:28:00 -0600 (CST)

It's my understanding that the ICMP redirect is used in the following
scenario:

- host1 sends data to gateway1
- gateway1 looks for the next hop and find gateway2
- gateway2 is on the same net as host1
- gateway1 sends redirect to host1 informing it to use gateway2
- host1 traffic now leaves via gateway2

With this in mind, I *think* the redirect has to come from "pepsi"'s
gateway.

On Win2k, verify the value of:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableICMPRedirect

It's set to 1 (enable) by default.

-blake