Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: ICMP unreachable question

From: Penetration Testing <pentest () infosecure com au>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:30:22 -0800 (GMT+8)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Steve Culligan wrote:

[snip]

So my question is , Can this be used as a denial of service attack to
continually send these ICMP packets to a server to confuse it or bring it
down.
Anybody had any experience with this or know any tools which can generate
these ICMP reachable packets ?

Steve,

I think the ICMP that you are seeing is Type 3, Code 4.  It would be
pretty easy to put together a little tool to generate these packets using
libnet.

As for whether this could be used for DoS, I guess that depends on the
parameters/options.  If you can send through a packet telling the remote
end to set its MTU to 0, then I imagine that it would effectively kill the
connection.  This would, of course, rely on the ICMP making it past the
firewall.

Regards,
Dave Taylor

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/