Penetration Testing mailing list archives

xprobe 0.2

From: nobody <pentester () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:25:50 -0700 (PDT)

All,

the new xprobe 0.2 works well - as far as it goes.
But - does anyone know if there is sufficient
difference between the tcp/ip signature of an NT
WORKSTATION and an NT SERVER OS.

Problem:

I need to (without making a windows connection via SMB
using pgms like gettype, winmsd, winffingerprint
etc..)
determine which Windows machines are running NTSERVER
OS.

Does anyone know or think the the tcp/udp packet
response from the NT SERVER will be different enough
from the NT WORKSTATION - so that I can tell them
apart.  again - i cannot use the normal windows
connections to do this (no port 139 connections).

If there are any difference in the packet response -
then I could add an NT SERVER (does not matter if it
is NT or W2K) to the signature file for xprobe 0.3 ??

any help ?

thanks