Penetration Testing mailing list archives

IIS : access to cmd.exe and multiple commands on one line

From: Daniel Polombo <polombo () cartel-info fr>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:59:12 +0200

Hello,

as you all know, it's possible to exploit a number of IIS bugs to gain access to \winnt\system32\cmd.exe and execute arbitrary commands on the server. I've been trying to convince it to execute several commands on one line (as one would separate commands with a ';' under any decent shell), with limited success : on a number of NT/2k boxes, the syntax :

   command1 & command2  (eg, cd .. & dir)

works fine. On some other boxes, though, it only returns 'The parameter is incorrect'.

It is unclear to me whether this problem happens only because of the way the request is made (http://path/to/cmd.exe?/c+command1&command2), or if there are really different versions of cmd.exe.

I would assume the former, but I fail to see why it would work on some boxes and not others, given the same commands and commands separator.

I've tried unicode-encoding the '&', with simple and double encoding (%26 and %2526, respectively), but on the boxes which refuse plain '&', it doesn't work either.

I'd like to get this to work in order to execute several commands on a remote box in the same context (as opposed to several different connections), w/o uploading anything to the box (yet :).

Any ideas would be welcome.

Regards,

  Daniel

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/