Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: cracking cisco passwords

From: Joshua Wright <Joshua.Wright () jwu edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:30:36 -0400

Brute force with a dictionary attack would be your best option.  The
type 5 password is based on the MD5 hash algorithm.  You could create
a perl program with a CPAN module to calculate the hashes.

The $ in the MD5 hash separates the field into three parameters:

$1 - version 1 ?
$6Je2 - salt
$MurE4FTzoZjQShRW4Ui9H0 - base 64 encoded password hash

I suspect however, that if you have access to the router (switch?)
with the IOS HTTP vulnerability, you can simply change the password,
and reestablish the original password at a later time.

- -Joshua Wright
Team Leader, Networks and Systems
Johnson & Wales University
Joshua.Wright () jwu edu

pgpkey: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD44B4A73
fingerprint: FDA5 12FC F391 3740 E0AE BDB6 8FE2 FC0A D44B 4A73