Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How to sniff packets from afar?

From: Penetration Testing <pentest () infosecure com au>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:56:04 -0800 (GMT+8)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Shawn Duffy wrote:

[snip]
I was wondering if any knows of a way to sniff packets from either his
VPN tunnel connections or traffic through his firewall when you cannot
connect directly in between his ISP and router.

If you can own his router you may be able to capture traffic from it and
tunnel it back to your machine.  I believe that this was discussed in
Phrack about 2 or 3 issues back.

I was told it is possible, but I don't see how.  Also, would anyone know
how to tap a T1 line from a dmark without disrupting service and without
knowing the parameters?

You would want to be careful with this.  Even if your friend provides you
with authorisation it would probably constitute wiretap and could land you
in a heap of trouble with the local authorities (and the carrier).

Just my $0.04 AUD worth...

Dave Taylor

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/