Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Oracle 8.0.6

From: "Aaron C. Newman" <aaron () newman-family com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:18:18 -0500

Andrew,

Oracle runs under the security context of a UNIX account probably called
oracle. Using just the oracle privileges you will not be able to root the
box.

What you can try is the following:
using utl_file, create a .rhost file, or edit someother file to allow you to
log into the system as oracle.

After connecting to the operating system, there are a few executable files
that Oracle wants you run as setuid root. They are oratclsh and dbsnmp. The
oratclsh file is a tcl script interpreter. If this file hasn't been
disabled, you should be able to create a tcl script which will run with root
privileges.

The dbsnmp is a little harder to harder to exploit. There are about half a
dozen buffer overflows in this file - most of them stemming from modifying
the ORACLE_HOME - just happens three new ones where release today - check
out http://www.oraclesecurity.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=8
or search security focus for the words dbsnmp and oracle.

Regards,
Aaron C. Newman
CTO/Founder
Application Security, Inc.