Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: identifying

From: "Clarke, Paul [IT]" <paul.clarke () ssmb com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:29:16 +0100

Checkpoint behaviour will depend on the version that you're running, pre
v4.1 SP2, FW-1 would allow your ACK through to the destination host
irrespective of the time since the initial SYN was sent, as long as there is
a rule explicitly permitting your source -> destination TCP connection. In
this instance, any RST that you may happen to receive would come from the
real destination server.

Current service pack patched FW-1's wouldn't generaly send a RST even if you
waited for more than 60 seconds after sending the SYN, it'd just drop the
ACK packet and take no action (this depends upon the policy that's installed
of course).

I presume that a PIX would behave in a similar fashion, although I don't
know much about them.

For a proxy-based firewall like Gauntlet I would presume that the firewall
would exhibit the TCP behaviour of the OS that it runs on, and that you'd
get different responses for Gauntlet on different OSes. Does this sound
feasible to others?

Rgds,
Paul