Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Q: How do I use SNMP to set IP of a remote network interface?

From: "Craig, Scott" <SCraig () KMART COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:19:56 -0500

Greetings to all...

   I'd like to be able to prove to people that SNMP private community is
indeed a dangerous vulnerability.
For a simple demonstration I'd like to be able to use my SNMP management
package's "snmpset" command (<ftp://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/ucd-snmp.tar.gz> )
to change an IP address on a remote HP-UX 11.0 test system. In addition to
HP-UX I would like to do the demo with a Windows NT 4 targeted test system.
Is this possible and does anyone know how I would do it? (using any SNMP
management console)
Let's assume the private (set) community string is set to "private".

http://www.landfield.com/faqs/snmp-faq/part1/
"
Because the methodology for setting community strings is not standardized,
every type of device/agent version may have a different mechanism for
handling this chore. Therefore, there are no "single console" products for
setting community strings. For this to be feasible, you would have to be
able to differentiate every agent type, and know how that particular
vendor/system/agent handles it.
"

Scott