Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] disclosure and contact information

From: Elias Levy <aleph1 () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:58:40 -0700

* Ben Ford (bford () ERISKSECURITY COM) [010307 21:54]:
I just had a discussion with the higher-ups at the company I work for
regarding vulnerability disclosure.  It is SOP (and common curtesy) for
most companies to give software companies a week or so advance
notification when a vulnerability is found.  We are in the process of
developing our policies and came to a point of contention here.  We both
agree that the vulnerabilities should be made public on our website, but
he does not want to give advance notification to companies.  His
reasoning for this is simple.  He doesn't want to invest the time to
track down contact information for each and every company and/or product
we end up dealing with.

To counter this point, is there a database somewhere with such contact
information?  It would have to be searchable by company and by product.
It would only return contact information.  A phone number, email etc.
If there is not, is anybody interested in joining forces to create one?

We have such a list of contacts here at SecurityFocus.com. You can ask
for vendor contact information by emailing vulnhelp () securityfocus com.
Please note that the list is limited. Not many vendors have contact
information specifically for security problems. Most of them handle
such cases via their regular support channel which can be quite frustrating
to deal with. Most of the companies in the list are ones for which
vulnerabilities have been found in their products in the past.

If the are any vendors of products reading this that wish their
security contact information be added to the list please email
the information to vulnhelp () securityfocus com.

-b

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus.com