Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Bizzare Network Errors Found During Pen Test (IP ARP Throttled)

From: Jose Nazario <jose () BIOCSERVER BIOC CWRU EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:56:58 -0500

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Mike Ahern wrote:

I can port scan the remote router ok. I can telnet into the remote
router ok. I can telnet to remote devices ok from the remote router. I
can telnet from the remote devices back thru the network to my hosts.
The arp cache of the far end router shows the MAC addresses of the
remote devices, so there doesn't appear to be anything in between.

However when I port scan the remote devices the remote router scans
ok, but all other devices actually end up on the scan either not
responding or are showing that my packets are hitting the firewall at
the end of the default route for our network (this includes hosts that
exist, that have routes, are online and able to communicate
otherwise). The only exception in addition to the remote router are
two HP Jet Direct print servers, which I can scan and telnet to from
here.

The CRUX of the ISSUE: I am getting the following error on the remote
Cisco router, with the router having TCP debug enabled for each host
exhibiting this problem: "IP ARP throttled out the ARP Request for
10.xxx.xxx.2"

i don't know what that error means, sorry ... however, let me ask a couple
of questions:

what portscanning tool? nmap? what rate of packet creation? you may be
overwhelming stuff, though i'm not sure what would be really going on
here. have you looked at a slower rate of packet creation? like nmap's
sneaky or polite modes?

good luck, i'm curious to see what's going on here.

jose nazario                                                 jose () cwru edu
                     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
                                       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)