Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: pcanywhere passwd capture

From: cdowns <cdowns () skillsoft com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 07:20:39 -0400

well as of yesterday i could easily kill the connections, i tried character
injections like " auth " and i heard the admin in the other cube say "allen did
you do that ?" so i didnt get to see what happened and i would likt to see that
for myself. they are running symetric encryption level so i was trying to see
if i could capture it.

hmmmm must be a way. could lets say do a man in the middle attack and ngrep the
connetion ? i already tried stack trace with MITM and no luck......

take care
-D

Andrew van der Stock wrote:

If they are using "no encryption", you should be able to sniff it. If they
are using a less than perfect configuration, which allows you pull down the
encryption level, and you have a tool like hunt to help inject a correctly
formatted response packet, and you're quicker than the respondant, and the
TCP iss sequences are predictable, you should be able to similarly encourage
"no encryption", but I doubt it's worth the effort.

pcAnywhere prior to release 8 has a lot of issues. pcAnywhere 8 and 9 can
still be killed off if you don't patch them properly. pcAnywhere 10 is
pretty new and I have not had a chance to really play with it yet, but the
options for secure operation are really good from the doco I've read.

Andrew