Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Generating Dropped Packets

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:22:27 -0500

While technically not a pen test, I am trying to do something that I think
(hope) is inline with some tools that exist for pen testing that folks here
might be able to turn me onto. I am trying to generate traffic that will be
dropped out of hand by both switches and routers. The nature of the packet
(fragment, giant, etc.) isn't as important to me as the ability of the
switch/router to recognize that the packet needs to be dropped.
Products/tools that are Windows based are preferred, though Linux and/or
Solaris are acceptable as well (I'm not as sharp on *nix as I am on Win
systems). I know I can use something like mismatched duplex settings to
start generating collisions and such, but I would prefer a method that is
more controlled if possible. TIA.

Wes Noonan, MCSE/MCT/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com
http://www.bmc.com

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/