Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Distributed Brute Force Crackers (WAS:

From: Clem Colman <clem () colmancomm com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:20:16 -0500

The source for the old version of L0phtcrack is on the web site.  Not sure how much the algorithm improved with
unpublished versions(ie no source) but one "quick" approach I thought might at least allow you to split the processing
once was:

- download the source.
- reverse the order characters are tested in one verion.
- compile both versions run on separate machines.

Hopefully this will mean that the two versions are brute forcing different keyspaces.  Of course depends on character
selection algorithm.  More separation may be possible by further playing with the order characters are choosen in.

Distributed DES on standard PCs is still a long term proposition.  During the Code Challenge I was in a team that
worked on Stage 9, the DES challenge.  My P400 Celerons were testing around 800,000 keys/second.

Key space in 2^56 = 7.21 * 10^16.
Approximate time to solution (Half key space divided by Keys/second) 4.5 * 10^10 seconds or 521,249 CPU days on Celeron
400Mhz.

Cheers,
Clem.